Tuesday 20 January 2015

My 2014 in review

First of all I must wish you all a happy new year! Its been awhile but I really wanted to review 2014 even if this year is already 3 weeks old. As I attended many events, it will be more of a list so I will number them.
1) A VIP event at MOSI. A talk about Climate Change by none other than the UK's Chief Scientific Advisor  Sir Mark Walport. He kicked off his tour here.
2) General RSC update meeting in Crowne Plaza hotel on 13.2.14. Always nice to meet up with like minded individuals.
3) Famelab at MOSI. This is my first one and its a great night out. Nice to see the MOSI staff and as it was valentines day there were heartshaped coasters on the tables.
4) Early March saw my first TEDxManchester at Manchester Academy. It was my partner's first TED event and he enjoyed it. Quaint tables they had. Here is alink so you can watch it for yourself.

https://www.ted.com/tedx/events/10631

5) An event which means alot to me because this organisation does. I went to LA Burbank fundraiser for the weekend beginning March 28th as a proud member of The Rutger Hauer Starfish Team.

6) End of April trip to Bletchley Park. I was very impressed by this place and we have a yearly pass so we have until April to go back. Alot of the park was closed for refurbishment or was new and yet to be opened. A wet but fab weekend and I would recommend this to anyone. I am so glad this place is still open.
7) Chester Half Marathon. We had an overnight stay in a guesthouse close to the venue. I can now say I have ran around a racecourse :) 18th May
8)  Tuesday 20th May saw me attending a talk at a local vegetarian resaturant, Solomon Grundy cafe.This was my first PINT OF SCIENCE event which they themselves had alerted me to on Twitter. This was a talk with several speaker's talking about Graphene.
9) Another VIP event at MOSI, on June 6th. This was an LHC installation including a chat with particle physicists from CERN. It was incredible, just like being there. I had a good time and ejoyed meeting and chatiing to people. There was an intro film with a cameo by Manchester's very own Prof Brian Cox.
10) Personal: Mid july and I began a course of beta blockers for migraines which I'm happy to say are working.
11) Early August 7 nights in Amsterdam. This trip was a blast as it included visits to many surrounding places, such as Den Haag, Madurodam, Leiden, Utrecht and Muiderslot castle. Whilst here on thursday afternoon, I had my first conference call in my room with Chemists Without Borders.Enjoyable though shorter than I expected. Less nerve wracking because it turned out not to include video.
12) On August 13th I was back at MOSI to see 'An audience with Jeff Forshaw' a sciencist I admire. He was as manic and passionate as ever and that is always a wonderful thing to see in a person. I did buy his book but didn't get it signed.The queue was too long and it was getting late.
13) Back at MOSI once again to see that monkey Robin Ince 'in and out of his mind' Got there early so had the pleasure of sitting and watching him setting up. His technical problems also provided entertainment.
14) End of October saw me once again in my role as STEM Ambassador at Manchester Science Festival. I did 5 sessions and enjoyed meeting some more great people. It was nice to meet the new coordinator Nichola Jacques. I hope to see her again next year. We were invited to the finale as a way of saying thank you. It was a very funny night called Comedy in Space which was largely about women in science and 2 free glasses of lovely wine. Hosted by Chella Quint.
15) Last friday in October and I went to the Didsbury Beer Festival. A nice night, only a few beers for me.
16) TEDxSalford at The Lowry. October 5th. My partner came along this time too. All speakers were fab as they always are but there were 2 in particular whom I wanted to see and I wasn't disappointed. They were both called Jack.

 http://www.tedxsalford.com/

17) October 16th. This was biology week and our first time in The Font pub, Fallowfield for a discussion about Astrobiology. The list of draught real beers and the bottled stuff from around the world is impressive. We had food, burgers and chips. This was great too. It was a cosy chat as we were the only people to turn up apart from the organisers. It was their first time at this. I got to hold a 4.6 billion year old meteorite. 'Probably the oldest thing I will hold in my lifetime'
18)Sept-October I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which I bought from Waterstones in Altringham. All about STEM cells and cell lines, a truly fascinating story.
19) December Sci-Bar by one of its co-founders Dave Price all about science communication. It was interactive fun which included the worlds second largest whoopi cushion.
20) First xmas dinner not at home. The Red Lion, just around the corner from home. A great choice.
21) 27th-29th Dec at Hebden Bridge. I was curious having heard so much about this pretty looking place. It was nice, plenty of good pubs and eating places. Staying in the Juliet Suite at the 4 star Crown Inn was a superb choice. I'm sure there are more things to do in summer, however, it will be packed.
22) Finally, back at The Red Lion for NYE. Tickets were only £5 each and there was a disco. Intrigued by the windows being covered up with black bin liner's.

If I suddenly realise I have missed something out. I'll be back to make additions.

Phew! Wishing you all a healthy, happy 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment




I am grateful for any feedback and comments. Thanks for reading and don't be a stranger xxx